Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I am a coach to my core- Coach Scott Fields

I am a coach to my Core-Coach Scott Fields



I, like millions of fans, watched the NBA Finals this year. I was entertained, I enjoyed the drama, the story lines, I enjoyed the rhetoric by the so called pundits, so called experts, I laughed at the tweets ,I shake my head at social media and the random thoughts being tossed around... I enjoyed listening to peoples perspectives. I watched my wife get so emotionally involved in the games. I watch my son Brandon soak it in and watch and listen and learn.
I too listened to the sports shows and listened to their opinions, their arguments, I listen to the comparisons being made. This Team compared to this Team, This year compared to other years, This player compared to this player. I listen to them argue about the rule changes, the Super Teams, The NBA and the referees. The legacies. Blah , Blah, Blah...it is all background noise. I keep my focus, I stay locked in.
I listen to the players and what they say after games, what will be bulletin board material. Are the coaches sending subliminal messages to referees through the press.


I love this game !


I know this, I don't watch the games like the casual fan. I watch the entire playoffs. first round, second round, semi finals, and finals with a strategic eye. I am a coach to my core. Yes, I am entertained, Yes, I am intrigued, Yes, I too have strong opinions..


I am working on my craft, I am keeping my skill set sharp. I watch for adjustments to be made during the game. I watch the sideline out of bounds plays, I watch the baseline out of bounds plays. I try to see if they put the ball in the right players hands, I try to see if he catches where he is comfortable, I watch for miss matches on defense, I see if they attack the weaker defender. I watch for isolation's on pick n roll, I watch the pace, I see the spacing, I see the angles of the screens, I watch the and read the flow. I try to think to myself, "what would I say in this timeout?" What would I pull this player aside to say to him here? Would I work the officials, would I say things to get in the oppositions head. What would I say to the press after the first or third quarter. What D would I draw up, What special play would I run after a time out, Who do we attack, who is in foul trouble? how many time outs are left? Who do I need to engage ? Who can provide a spark off of the bench? Who do I take out? Who do I want to take the shot, where does the shot need to come from? How can I make that player work harder, How do I run at him on pick n roll? Would I switch on a match up, Would I change, the pace?


I am a coach to my core, I don't get emotional, I do applaud a great play, I play the game in my mind as If I am the coach making the tough decisions. I react to a silly move or a lost defensive assignment. I make a comment to Brandon as a teachable moment. I share thoughts with my wife as I coach from my couch.


My mind races with thoughts on what I would do, I stay opened minded to always learn, to always grow, to always steal something, maybe it a play, maybe it a phrase, maybe its a move a player makes.maybe it is something Mark Jackson says, Maybe Van Gundy will point out something?


I watch the body language of the players, I watch for what they say to each other. I watch to see who is tired? who is gassed, who is putting their hands on their knees, who doesn't lock in during timeouts, I watch who is encouraging his teammates from the bench. I am watching the assistant coaches. I am running player stats in my head. I am watch for who needs encouragement, I watch for who needs to make an adjustment.


I am a coach to my core...this is my lab, this is my classroom, I am a teacher of the game. I believe in life lessons to be taught, I believe their is a process. I watch for fundamentals, I watch the mechanics of the shot, I watch the shoulders on the screens, I watch the hands of the defender, I watch the eyes and the hand eye coordination of the defender. I watch the body during the shot, I watch the snap of the passes, I watch the deepness of the breath. I watch were hands are during a screen, I watch the shoulders of the defenders on screens, I watch the angles of the pick and roll.


I am playing a game of chess to gain an advantage. I am looking for the vocal leaders, I am watching for leadership by example.


I am a coach to my core- I am what I am, I don't deny it, I don't apologize for it. I am seeing how I can empower a player to accomplish more than he thought he could. I am looking to see who I would challenge, I am looking to see who needs to have his role redefined.


This has been a great season, we should stop judging, stop hating, stop comparing, lets enjoy this season for all its special moments. The great play from quality players. The NBA is in special times with special unique talent. This is the greatest game ever. Can it improve ? yes,
Will I improve,  yes? I will continue to learn, I will continue to grow, I will continue to be a coach to my core. It is in my competitive DNA.


I am a coach to my core- Coach Scott Fields


1 comment:

  1. Great read! Thanks. It has been an exciting series..

    ReplyDelete