Saturday, January 10, 2015

Time Out Details to A Winning Culture

Time Out details
It is important to effectively communicate and make
 your game time adjustments in a limited time.
There is a productive method to my structure.
By Coach Scott Fields
Time Out- there can be many distractions during a 20 or Full Time Out.
Like in this photo, you see microphone from media, TV cameras, dancers on the court, Fans screaming either obscenities or encouragement to your players. Assistant Coaches have suggestions, Players have comments.
This needs to be organized, this needs to be structured. Instructions need to be given, roles and match ups need to be assigned, plays need to be drawn up.
1) while in the huddle there needs to be One Voice heard, there can only be one Chief in the TP.
This is how I structure my Time Outs, it is discussed in practice, this is a Detail for successful preparation.
1a) Players must sprint to bench, and players discuss what they see on the court amongst themselves.I also have my Top Assistant Coach make any suggestion he might have to me in a short Coaches huddle as players go to Bench, I have an established order, the assistant coaches make suggestions to my Top Assistant, the Top Assistant processes this information and his own suggestion, and he shares that information to the Head Coach, which is Me. The only voice I hear is from my Top Assistant.
2) I have an organized seating Chart during my Time Out.
This is a detail that I find vital as my PG is an extension of Me, so I have my PG set directly in front of me. I can make eye contact with my PG , I can see if he 100 percent understand what we want and what we need.
2a) my 4-5 man set next to my PG, this is done for my personal reasons.( I can elaborate on this in future blogs) I need my Bigs focused and knowing the role.
2b) I bookend my bigs with my 2-3 men, these man are usually your shooters and slashers, so with them on the outside all the communication comes back to the center of huddle to myself and my PG.
This is done so that we are all on the same page. 1 Team, 1 Mission, 1 1 Goal.
So a visual of what you see in a time out is this :            
                                                                                    HC
                                                                           2 - 5 - 1 - 4 - 3
I then have my Assistant Coaches and other players make a Semi Circle around us, watching and listening to the instruction, this is done to keep focus, and side bars to a minimum. Because if a player gets hurt or if a player fouls out, I want my substitute to know the job and role of everyone in the huddle.
***.  If I am overseas and need a translator, I have my translator will sit or squat next to me directly in front of my PG again, for effective communication.
I, as the HC watch the eyes and body language of my players to clear up any confusion there might be as they leave the huddle.
My PG will then re huddle the players as they walk out on the court to double check that everyone is on the same page and has their assignments.
Now this is an effective Time Out, Effective Communication, and this too must be practiced.
Everyone has a role, everyone has responsibility.
I make sure my assistant coach gets me my board, I have the manager already with water bottles and towels for players ready. I have my trainer with medical needs prepared if anyone needs medical attention,  This needs to be a controlled environment. This is now organized chaos. This will help You Win More Games !!!

Questions for you? Do you practice this before you read this?
Do your assistant coaches know their roles during a Time Outs before you read this ?
Do you have an organized seating chart for time outs, where everyone knows where they should be ?
Are you the only voice in your huddles ? Or do you assign an assistant coach to draw something out?

Pay attention to details, these details bring a Trust, a Respect, a Winning Culture


No comments:

Post a Comment