Friday, February 2, 2018

Be apart of Coachings Positive Paradigm Shift- Coach Scott Fields

Be apart of  Coaching's Positive Paradigm Shift- Coach Scott Fields


I will be the first to share with you this, I am always learning, always growing, always focused on empowering others in the industry.  I myself am far from perfect. I also will tell you, I will not going into another mans home and tell him how to be a father. I also will not going into another coaches locker room and tell him how to coach.

I will confidently share this with anyone who takes to the time read this post.
The following is True !
1) I am always positive. 2) I am always enthusiastic. 3) I believe in the power of positive reinforcement.
I also believe if you would ask and poll any of my former players they will also share with you the same.

I have been blessed, I am luckier than I deserve to have been able to have travel the globe coaching the game I love.

I have been in situations that were very challenging with low budgets. I have also coached top Teams with great budgets for that league. I have started the season with Teams in camp. I have also replaced a number of coaches at mid season who were not meeting expectations. I have always stuck my positive principles to obtain the goals of turning Teams and Franchises around. 

Positive Coaching is a style, a philosophy. Go ahead research it!
It always produced positive results! Always!
I build a culture and brand with this style.

There is a pattern, I am not pointing fingers here at all. I am just stating facts. I am speaking from my own personal experiences and observations.

Positive Coaching produces the following:
           1) Meaningful relationships with the athletes
           2) Builds confidence in your players.
           3) Builds Trust with your players.
           4) Produces positive results.
           5) Is entertaining to spectators
           6) Builds establish a culture
           7) It relaxes players to play with freedom and not in fear of making mistakes.
This is true at all levels, but at youth levels it is huge!


Coaches, trust me when I tell you, Players already know when they make a mistake, They don't need an adult screaming at them to embarrass them in front of crowds, the parents and their peers.  Players don't go on the court intentionally trying to make a mistake. If you want to take a players confidence, Go ahead, yell at them after making a mistake. The following will happen. The body language tells you everything. the shoulders slump, the head goes down, they loose concentration, as they are upset they made the mistake, then a coach yells at them, then they go in the tank. Then one mistake turns into two mistakes as the game is so fast, it is action reaction. 
The Esteem and Egos are already fragile.correct me if I am wrong.
The same goes for coaches who over react to a mistake, a player notices when the coach is upset or disappointed.
Again players want to please their coaches.
Example a players goes up for a layup and misses a wide open, uncontested layup.
If in the corner of the players eye, they see the coach throw his hands up in frustration and disappointment.
Trust me, this action will also cause a young player to loose his confidence.


Coaches, I have seen you.. OWN IT!
I have seen some horrible actions of coaches at AAU National Tournaments, I have seen coaches Yell, Scream, Act a Fool.
You are to lead by example. 
What are you teaching these young kids? 
I do believe in corrective criticism. "What you don't correct, You Accept"
but I believe that if it is delivered with a calm and caring tone you can and will attain the positive outcome you desire.

I have also been around Coaches who Yell, Scream, are demeaning to Players. That Team will quit on a Coach.
They will at some point implode. That Coach will loose his Team.

This is a new age of Sports. They call this the Millennial generation.
You as Coaches must adapt to your Players.

Are you an effective communicator? Do you relate well with your players?
The days of Rants, the Days or Screaming, Yelling Cursing is a thing in the past.

I have been blessed with positive results my entire career. I have coached at the Pro Level and have won Championships by staying positive. I have coached at the college level and the better college teams we always kept it positive. I have coached my son and his teams in AAU.
I remember taking a Team of 6 players down to Vegas.
We finished with 3 players on the floor and won the Championship game because we stayed positive.
(see photo below)






Negative Coaching produces:
                              1) toxic atmosphere
                              2) poor results
                              3) players loosing confidence
                              4) produces poor attitudes
                              5) a loosing culture
                              6) results reflects leadership
                              7) an atmosphere that no one wants to be associated with


Parents this is also important for you. 
                      1)  Be supportive of your athlete. 
                      2) fuel your kids emotional tank with positive support. 
                      3) let the coach,  do his job and coach 
                      4)  Let your kid be a kid.
                      5) don't put added pressure on your child. 
                      6) don't live vicariously through them. 
                      7) know and understand, only a small percentage of athlete go on to become professional athletes. 
                      8) accentuate the positive don't remind them of the negative.

Coaches, accept the Challenge , Be apart of the Positive Paradigm Shift.


Lets teach Life lessons through sport










Coaches, Choose to be a POSITIVE impact on lives, you have a wonderful platform to lead, guide and direct and Mentor.
Positive Coaching is the Paradigm Shift !
Be the Change........




I am available to discuss, speak, lecture, present.
coachscottfields@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment